Have you always enjoyed driving, but don't have a travel companion? Or have you always enjoyed being on your own, but don't know how to go on a journey alone? Or don't know how to stay awake while driving long distances? The following steps are for you!
Step 1. Get in the car aware of your own presence, with a respectful approach towards you and a positive mood regarding the journey that awaits you
Step 2. Make sure you have a good sound system in your car
Even if it is not a car stereo or a console, a simple MP3 player or an iPod with portable speakers may suffice.
Step 3. Stock up on water, juice and snacks to munch on
Avoid overly salty snacks - fruit is always better. Not only does it give you energy, but it is also a tasty snack.
Step 4. Have the oil and water levels checked, and make sure the machine is properly equipped
Even small things like the rag and the first aid kit can make a difference.
Step 5. Maintain a cruising pace - neither too fast nor too slow
You do not have to be in a hurry: you would tire easily and face the journey as an interminable trek.
Step 6. Drive to the rhythm of relaxing music
On long journeys, the last thing you need is to subject your ears to the explosive tunes of hard rock or metal music. It would only serve to tire you further, and in the long run you would get bored, especially in the most critical moments. The ideal is soul rock, or instrumental music.
Step 7. Don't overeat:
eat light meals, but eat at regular intervals. Avoid driving on an empty stomach - it would be a disaster, as driving drains your energy. The best way to try your hand at this is to drink a lot while traveling.
Step 8. Take the busiest route
Even if it goes against the popular maxim, do not venture along unknown and dangerous roads, even if you own the suitable vehicle. Inclement weather and bad roads are a deadly combination.
Step 9. Don't time yourself continuously:
it just serves to stress you out. Take each kilometer as it comes: some will take a while to cover them, others you will grind without even realizing it!
Step 10. Even if it is very hot or very cold outside, open the window from time to time:
fresh air will wake you up and keep you alert.
Step 11. Although some disagree, if you are traveling on a low traffic road it is best to use cruise control
If the road is clear and straight, it is very easy to exceed the speed limit and get a fine.
Step 12. Enjoy the ride
Long car journeys are one of the best ways to relax alone! And they are a great opportunity to get to know you better!
- Plan your entire trip in advance so you always know where you are going. You will feel safer driving.
- Always keep your seat belt fastened.
- Before leaving, check that you have everything you need: driver's license, car keys, money, water, juice, snacks, food, etc.
- Respect the rules of the road and drive carefully.
- Keep busy by humming a song you know or listening to music.
- Do not turn the heat up too high, so as not to run the risk of falling asleep.
- If the weather conditions worry you (for example, a strong thunderstorm), don't drive.
- Choose the streets that are least congested with traffic.
- Have a coffee to keep you awake!
- Leave organized, so you know what to visit before arriving at your destination, and inquire about any work in progress to avoid queues.
- Listen to an audiobook.
- Make sure you are comfortable - bring a pair of slippers, or a blanket.
- Fasten your seat belt.
- Don't go too fast if you don't want to see a police car pull up.
- Don't take your eyes off the road!
- Rather than texting friends, call! Talking on the phone is safer.
- Try not to get bored!