Millions of people already use Snapchat to chat with friends, share photos and record memorable experiences for all their acquaintances to see. The thing that many users don't consider is that social platforms like Snapchat have also created a host of new revenue opportunities by leveraging the unique format of these apps. It all starts with the development of a good base of followers, in order to give visibility to your activities. Then, you can make the app work for you by posting content as an official brand testimonial or generating attention for other business activities.
Part 1 of 3: Creating a Follower Base
Step 1. Add your friends and personal contacts
Whether you've just downloaded Snapchat or you've been a longtime user looking to expand your following, the first step is to start accumulating followers who see your Stories. Send a request to friends, relatives and all the people you are connected to on social networks. Those users will become the base of your following.
- You can find out who of your acquaintances has Snapchat using the "Add from address book" item.
- Ask your best friends to help you out by spreading the word to everyone they know.
Step 2. Make as many connections as possible
Once you've added friends and family, you can focus on getting other users to follow you. Start following friends of local friends, celebrities and personalities, as well as any profiles you like. In many cases, they too will follow you.
- Publish your snapcode. The snapcode is a unique symbol that other users can scan with their phone to start following you.
- Establish relationships on social media forums. You can exchange your contact information with those of other users, follow them in exchange for a follow and have more visibility.
Step 3. Get mentioned by users with many followers
In some cases, you may be able to persuade influential users to share your profile name or say it in one of their snaps. This message will reach a very large audience, and followers who are most dedicated to that personality will be encouraged to follow your profile. Cross-promotions are a great opportunity for anyone looking to increase their follower base.
- You often have to pay to get sued by private companies and well-known personalities.
- Write a direct message to another user or mention them in a snap to get their attention.
Step 4. Use your other social media profiles to advertise
Since the user discovery functionality is not very sophisticated, it is difficult to make your name known. This is where platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram come in handy. Leverage your contact base on those sites by sharing your Snapchat profile and showing examples of the content you offer on that service.
- Show your snapcode as a temporary profile picture, so your contacts know how to follow you.
- It can be helpful to reserve your Snapchat profile for special posts that your followers won't be able to see elsewhere.
Part 2 of 3: Advertising
Step 1. Try to be original
Your Snapchat Stories won't stick with your followers if they aren't different from others. Instead of just sharing selfies or posting photos of your lunch, highlight some unique features or a presentation style that helps you stand out from the crowd. More users will be motivated to follow you if they don't find content like yours anywhere else.
- Use a specific theme for your account. You can mostly post snaps documenting thrilling adventures, the best restaurants in the area, or even short comic sketches.
- Try not to post all posts of the same type. This way of communicating can quickly become repetitive. Try to share only unusual or exciting moments.
- Try to have a unique style within the app.
Step 2. Publish accessible content
This is probably the most important criterion of all. Nobody likes to see commercials, and if you don't pay attention, your followers will understand that you are using your profile to serve other companies' interests. The snaps you post in your Stories should be personalized, authentic, and stem from genuine interest.
- Package your stories in a creative and engaging way that allows you to satisfy the preferences of your followers.
- Create a more interactive experience for your Snapchat followers by asking questions, posting polls, asking everyone to share and post their responses to your stories.
Step 3. Include a link to your website
Recent advances in technologies used by social networks have allowed users to embed links thanks to apps like Emoticode. Downloading one of these programs allows you to share the internet address of your personal or commercial website with your followers. It will be much easier to attract new users to that page if people don't have to open a separate browser to find it.
If you make a living selling a particular product or service, be sure to show a link to your online store so interested followers know where to shop
Step 4. Sell directly via Snapchat
By pairing Emoticode with a payment program like Snapcash, you can turn your profile into an entertainment center and shop at the same time. With the right marketing strategy, you can make your personal brand a public business.
- Managing the sales of your products via Snapchat can help you manage orders without having to use other programs.
- Make sure you take the right security measures to protect your identity and use the best payment options before posting your financial information on Snapchat (or any other app).
Step 5. Purchase a Snapchat filter
Companies like Geofilter and Confetti now offer a unique service that allows users to create and upload their own custom Snapchat filters. Just create a filter that represents your business, your brand or your image, then you'll have to pay a small amount to get it published. Once approved, other users can add the filter to their snaps, drawing attention to your profile.
- Whenever a user uses your custom filter, they advertise you for free.
- Use filters to advertise your products, events and public appearances.
Part 3 of 3: Working with Known Brands
Step 1. Advertise for a brand as a testimonial
Many companies are continually looking for influential users who are able to draw attention to their products or services. Offers for sponsored and partnership content will usually start coming in once you have developed a large user base. If a brand offers you a fee for advertising to your followers, accept!
- By advertising for a large company, you can make thousands of dollars with just one story.
- These types of deals work best if you really like the brands you promote and if you use their products.
Step 2. Participate in a takeover
If you are a recognizable personality in the Snapchat landscape, you can be invited to take control of a commercial account as a brand testimonial. As part of an aggressive marketing campaign, you will be responsible for sharing original sponsored content, which is appreciated more than traditional advertisements. This is another excellent form of cross-promotion that helps bring the followers of both profiles together.
- For example, if your Snapchat is related to nature, you could organize a day trip with North Face-supplied gear and use the company's stories to tell users why they are quality products.
- Usually you will need to have a well-known profile before you are offered takeovers.
Step 3. Post to other stories
Reach the most followed accounts and share photos that testify to a direct experience of various activities and events. For example, by adding your snaps to stories from music festivals or big cities, you can ensure that they are seen by users who follow those accounts. The traffic from those stories will be redirected to your profile, earning you a lot of followers.
- Other entities may even offer you compensation for the rights to use your snaps in their stories. However, even if they don't, it's still a great opportunity to gain exposure, which can go a long way in getting you noticed.
- Even though Snapchat recently deleted local stories from the app, there are still plenty of stories you can send your snaps to for exposure, such as those from small businesses and local newspapers.
- Do not rush. It can take a lot of time and effort to build a profitable follower base on Snapchat. There is no get-rich-quick trick when it comes to social promotion.
- Choose a username that is catchy and easy to remember. Think about your name, your image and your story to decide the details of your personal brand.
- Update the app often, so you can take advantage of the latest and most useful features it offers.
- Use platforms like Snapchat and Instagram to advertise directly for a private company or to raise awareness of other business opportunities.
- Build relationships with users in other cities and countries when you travel to gain an international following.