This wikiHow teaches you how to change application icons on computers, tablets and smartphones. Changing the app icons is used to customize the appearance of the desktop or Home of a device, based on your interests and your aesthetic taste. To change icons on Android devices, you need to use a third-party program, but if you own an iPhone or iPad running iOS 14 (or later), a Windows computer or a Mac, you can change the app icons by directly exploiting the integrated features.
Method 1 of 4: iOS devices
Step 1. Save the icons you want to use in the device's media gallery
If you've updated your iPhone or iPad to iOS version 14 (or later), you won't need to use a third-party app to change application icons. The first step is to locate the icons or images you want to use and download them from the web to your device. Normally, you can perform this step by holding your finger on the image and choosing the option Save image.
- If you don't know where to start, search the web using the keywords "iPhone icons" or search Google Photos for characters, objects, or whatever you want. Alternatively, you can consider using specific sites like Icons8 or Flaticon. If you have chosen to take advantage of these free services, be sure to download the icons in-p.webp" />
- If you are feeling particularly creative, you can create the icons yourself to use using an application such as Photoshop.
Step 2. Launch the Commands app on your iPhone or iPad
It features a blue icon with two squares: one pink and the other green. You can find it on your device Home or in the "Productivity" or "Finance" tab of the Library app.
Since you're linking to a specific app, you won't see notification badges appear on the link icon
Step 3. Press the + button
It is located in the upper right corner of the screen.
Step 4. Choose the Add action item
A page with some suggestions and a search bar will appear.
Step 5. Type the keywords open app into the search bar
The search results list will be displayed.
Step 6. Choose the Open App option visible in the "Actions" section
Step 7. Press the Choose button and select the app you want
The chosen application will be inserted in the box visible at the top of the screen.
Step 8. Press the ••• button and select the option Add to Home.
The button indicated is located in the upper right corner of the screen. A preview of the shortcut icon will be displayed.
Step 9. Select the new icon that will represent the app in question
Follow these instructions:
- Touch the placeholder icon displayed next to the "New Command" item located at the bottom of the screen;
- Select the option Choose the photo to access the gallery of images on the device;
- Choose the image to use as an icon and, if the image does not have a square shape, follow the instructions that will appear on the screen to crop it.
Step 10. Replace the default name "New Command" with the name of the app the link corresponds to
The name you enter will be displayed below the shortcut icon that will appear on the device's Home.
Step 11. Press the Add button located in the upper right corner of the screen
The new icon will be displayed on the device Home.
- To launch the app, simply tap on the shortcut icon you just created on Home and then select the application name.
- To add another shortcut icon, launch the Commands app again, create a new app action you want, and choose the icon to use.
Method 2 of 4: Android devices
Step 1. Try using an icon pack for Samsung Galaxy devices
If you don't own a Samsung smartphone or tablet, skip this step. If not, it will be extremely easy to find new free icons and use them on your Samsung Galaxy device. Follow these instructions:
- Press and hold your finger on an empty spot on the Home screen and choose the option Themes from the menu that will appear;
- Choose the option Icons;
- Scroll down the page to examine all the icons available, then choose one of the packages present to install it on your device (some of the icon packages are free, but not all);
- Push the button Download (in the case of a free icon pack) or press the button where the purchase price is displayed (in the case of a paid pack), then follow the instructions that will appear on the screen to complete the action;
- To change an app icon using one you just downloaded, hold your finger down on an empty area of the Home screen, choose the option Themes, touch the item Icons, then select the option My page visible at the top right of the screen. Tap the item Icons located in the "My Things" section, choose the icons to use and press the button Apply.
Step 2. Install a new launcher
Since the Android operating system is one of the most customizable, there are hundreds - if not thousands - of ways to change app icons. The simplest one is to use a new launcher. It is about completely replacing the application that manages the appearance of the Home screen of an Android device. When you choose to use a third-party launcher, you usually also have the option to install a wide range of icon packs that allow you to customize your device more thoroughly.
- Some Android devices support the use of a wide variety of icon packs. Try a Google search using your device model and the keywords "icon packs" as search criteria.
- To install a new launcher, go to the Play Store and search using the keyword "launcher". Choose one of the launchers that appeared in the list of results to be able to examine the reviews of other users and the screenshots of the graphical interface. Some of the most popular launchers, which support the use of free and paid icon packs, include Evie (completely free), Nova Launcher (free, but with some paid unlockable features), Action Launcher (free, but with some unlockable features for a fee) and Apus Launcher.
Step 3. Download an icon pack compatible with the launcher you have chosen to use
After installing the new launcher, examine the configuration settings to find out if there is a specific section dedicated to installing new icon packs. If there is no option to download new icon packs directly from the launcher settings, go to the Google Play Store and search using the launcher name followed by the keywords "icon packs". If you are using a popular and popular launcher, you will have plenty of free and paid options available.
Step 4. Apply the new icon pack to your launcher
In some cases, you will need to hold your finger on an empty spot on the Home screen and choose the option Customize, Icons, Customize or Icons from the menu that will appear. In other cases, you may have the ability to change an app icon directly from its context menu, which you can access by holding your finger down on the icon itself. Most launchers greatly facilitate this customization process, but the procedure to follow varies greatly from program to program. Experiment and enjoy.
Method 3 of 4: Windows
Step 1. Download or create new icons
Icons in Windows are shared and used in the form of. ICO files, but if you have downloaded the new icons in-p.webp
Some apps integrate multiple icons to choose the one to use. If you don't want to download new icons, you may find some great alternatives just by following these instructions
Step 2. Create a desktop shortcut icon that you will use as the basis for the new icon you have chosen
In this mod, or you can make use of custom icons:
- Press the "Windows" key to access the "Start" menu and locate the app you want;
- Click on the application icon in question using the right mouse button, select the option Other and choose the item Open file path - the folder where the application file you have selected is stored will be displayed;
- Click on the program icon using the right mouse button, click on the item Send to, then click the option Desktop (create shortcut). This will create a new shortcut to the app directly on the desktop.
Step 3. Click on the new link you just created with the right mouse button and choose the Properties item
The "Connection" tab of the "Properties" dialog box for the connection will be displayed.
Step 4. Click the Change Icon button
It is located at the bottom of the window.
Step 5. Select the icon you want to use (if listed) or click the Browse button
If the one you want to use is in the list of available icons, select it and click the button OK. If not, click on the button Browse to use the icon or icon file you downloaded earlier.
Step 6. Select the icon to use and click the Open button
Navigate to the folder that contains the ICO format icon you want to use, then select it. The icon will automatically be added to the previous list.
Step 7. Click the OK button to use the new icon
To save and apply the new settings, you will need to click the button a second time OK. The link icon will be replaced by the one you chose.
Method 4 of 4: Mac
Step 1. Download the icons you want to use on your Mac
In this case, the icons are stored in ICNS format, as they are automatically converted into images with the correct size. You can use websites such as Flaticon and Findicons to locate and download new icons to your Mac. Remember: even if the icon you want to use is not in ICNS format, you can still perform the conversion, for example from-p.webp
Step 2. Open a Finder window by clicking on the icon
It features a blue and white smiley face. Normally you find it directly on the Mac Dock.
Step 3. Go to the "Applications" folder
It is listed in the left pane of the Finder window.
Step 4. Click on the app icon you want to customize with the right mouse button and choose the Get Info option
The window with the detailed information of the app in question will be displayed. The current program icon will be visible in the upper left corner.
Step 5. Press the key combination ⌘ Command + N to open a new Finder window
To perform the procedure described in the method, you will need to use two Finder windows side by side.
Step 6. Navigate to the folder containing the icon you want to replace the original one
Use the new Finder window to navigate to the directory where the new icon file is stored.
Step 7. Drag the ICNS file to the current app icon
When you release the mouse button you will be prompted to enter the password for the Mac administrator account. After this step, the new icon will be ready for use.