French fries are a popular side dish, perfect to accompany burgers and steaks. They are usually fried in a pan or deep fryer, but did you know that you can also cook them in the oven? Baked chips are less fat and crispier than regular ones. Once you have the basics of preparation, you can experiment with all the toppings you want!
Simple Baked Chips
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons of paprika (optional)
- A pinch of garlic powder (optional)
- 4 tablespoons (5 g) of chopped fresh parsley leaves
- ½ cup (50 g) of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Doses for 4 people
Crispy Baked Chips
- 3-4 large russet potatoes or similar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of canola or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Pepper as needed. (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder (optional)
- 1-2 sprigs of coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
To make the garlic fries:
- 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) of canola or olive oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- Sea salt to taste
Doses for 3 or 4 people
Method 1 of 2: Making Simple Baked Chips
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C and line a pan with cooking spray
To make cleaning easier, first line the pan with aluminum foil, then spray it with cooking spray.
Step 2. Cut the potatoes into wedges
To start, cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 wedges. You can peel them or cook them with the peel.
Step 3. Mix the oil and seasonings in a large bowl
Mix the spices first, then add the oil and mix with a fork or small whisk. Since you will need to put the potatoes in the bowl as well, make sure it is large enough.
Step 4. Add the potatoes, then mix them until evenly coated
To do this quickly and easily, place a lid on the bowl, then shake it for a few seconds.
Step 5. Spread the potatoes on the pan creating an even layer
Make sure you don't overlap them, or they won't cook well. If you prefer them crunchy, make sure they don't touch at all. Use another pan if necessary.
Step 6. Bake the potatoes for 40-45 minutes
After about 20 minutes, turn them using a spatula to ensure even cooking.
Step 7. Serve the fries using a spatula or tongs
You can also season them further with fresh parsley and freshly grated Parmesan.
Method 2 of 2: Make Crispy Baked Chips
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 230 ° C and grease a baking sheet using a generous dose of cooking spray
To make cleaning easier, first cover the pan with aluminum foil, then coat it with cooking spray.
Step 2. Cut the potatoes into sticks about 1 cm thick
You can do this by first cutting them in half lengthwise, then in half again and then in wedges. At this point, cut them into thin strips to complete the procedure.
- It is important to make sticks. Combined with the high oven temperature, this shape allows for golden and crispy fries.
- You can cook them by leaving the skin or peeling them.
Step 3. Mix the oil and salt in a large bowl
You can add other seasonings, such as pepper, garlic powder, and chopped fresh rosemary. Since you'll also be putting potatoes in this bowl, make sure it's big enough.
Step 4. Mix the potatoes with the oil and salt
To do this quickly and easily, stick a lid tightly onto the bowl and shake it.
Step 5. Spread the potatoes on the greased baking sheet in a single layer
Make sure they don't overlap and don't touch. If necessary, use another baking sheet. If the potatoes are stacked, they cannot become crunchy.
Step 6. Bake them for 25-35 minutes
The longer you cook them, the crispier they will become. Turn them with a spatula or tongs about halfway through cooking to ensure even browning.
Do you want to make garlic fries? In the last 10 minutes of cooking, sauté 3 cloves of garlic in olive oil (measure 1 or 2 tablespoons) until golden brown, then set aside
Step 7. Season the fries if desired, then serve them immediately
Serve them with the help of a spatula.
If you're making garlic fries, season them with sea salt, then add the browned garlic
- Make sure you wash them before preparing. You can either peel them or leave the peel.
- The spices shown in these recipes are just examples. You can use any seasoning you want.
- At first, bake them according to the minimum cooking time. If they don't get crunchy enough, let them cook longer.